Access Control for Users/Groups Lists

Update: I see now that it’s only the User’s page that is exposed without requiring a login. At least on my instance, I can’t see Groups or Collections without first logging in. I can see Users without logging in.

I’m running an older version of Girder:
This instance of Girder was built on 9/25/2017 . API version 2.3.0.

I’m wondering if there’s an option to limit the view of the Users/Groups pages to authenticated users only, essentially requiring login.

I looked in the online documentation, but I didn’t see any mention of such capability. I’d consider upgrading if this were possible, perhaps either by setting permissions on the User/Groups pages themselves, or a flag in each User Profile that indicates whether their account should be “published” to the Users page.

For security reasons, I would prefer if only the authenticated users could see the full list of members.

Thanks,
John.

More details.

I’m running an Apache proxy out in front of the Girder (with Girder running within a Docker environment).

At this point, the Apache proxy acts as a passive pass through.

I suppose it might be possible to determine at the proxy stage whether the user was authenticated and then permit or deny access to the Users URL.

For that matter, I could block all access with a simple filter in the proxy, but presumably the admin would need access to the User list at some point.

John.

Hi John,

Girder doesn’t currently have a way to do this. We have some issues requesting such behavior (see issue #2252 and #659).

One way to just restrict the user access list would be to have a Girder plugin alter just that route. For example, you could make a plugin with the file server/__init__.py:

from girder.api import access

def load(info):
    # The first route in the user route table is *probably* the GET /user route
    route, handler = info['apiRoot'].user._routes['get'][0][0]
    # Only adjust this if this is the route we expect
    if route == () and getattr(handler, 'accessLevel', None) == 'public':
        # Update the route tuple by wrapping the handler so it requires user access
        info['apiRoot'].user._routes['get'][0][0] = (route, access.user(handler))

I haven’t tested the ramifications of this fully, so use with caution. For instance, this doesn’t give true security – an anonymous client could poll the /user/{id} endpoint to discover users or learn about users through other endpoints.

• David