Beginner's questions

Dear Girder expert.

Context

I found Girder quite impressive and easy to set up. I would like to use it to deploy image processing methods to in a research lab. I’m investigating the use of girder for two applications:

• short job (<10s typically applying ML weights) using a simple plugging
  • long job (> 1h-6h ) using the job system described in girder-worker.

For both jobs, the scenario is the following, the user upload a dataset (a Nifti file) as input. The job run (typically a threshold using sitk) and saved the corresponding label to the database.

So far, I’ve succeed to :

• install girder,
  • use the Python Client and Girder CLI to create the database & upload or download data
  • create a plugin that triggers when a file is uploaded.

Question 1

Disclaim, most of the concept of Girder are far away from my background

Using the plugin mecanism, I haven’t been able to read the uploaded nifti file. For instance:

def handler(event):
    # get file
    file = event.info['file']  
    # get path
    path=file['path']
    # get itemId
    itemId=file['itemId']
    # create Item
    item = Item().load(file['itemId'], force=True)
    # download file
    download_file=File().download( file, offset=0, headers=True, endByte=None, contentDisposition=None, extraParameters=None)

that return <function File.download.<locals>.downloadGenerator at 0x7fe0a1f5b8b0> 

Could you comment what is a downloadGenerator and how to access to the data for instance using sitk. Or what would you advise for I/O in regard to the girder database inside a plugin.

Question 2

I spend time reading : girder_worker/TRANSITION.md at master · girder/girder_worker · GitHub and girder_worker/HACKING.md at master · girder/girder_worker · GitHub

While I succeed to get the concept associated with the creation of “custom Celery task for Girder Worker” , the transition between Girder and the Girder worker is not easy to catch. In case, if existing, could you recommend a complete example available on the web that include the link between i) the detection of an event in a plugin, ii) the creation of girder job and the task, iii) the I/O part (GirderFileId/GirderUploadToItem).

Thanks in advance,

Best,
Valéry

Hi,

I took me a while but I finally succeed to access to the Nifti file in a plugin. I’m now struggling with the two following issues:

Question 1

How can I get the full folder ID of the document in a plugin? In the API via (http://127.0.0.1:8081/api/v1#!/folder/folder_getFolder) it is super easy but in a plugin , the command “def getFolder(self, folder)” is not accessible.

Is there another way to get the parent folder of an item or a file that return the complete dictionary ? Having the folder id via the item is straightforward but the complete dictionary is needed for instance for creating a new item in the same folder.

Question 2

Could you please briefly comment if it is possible to upload a nifti file in a similar fashion s3fs_nifti.ipynb · GitHub

My difficulty is to attach/upload the actual data to a new file in an item for instance.

Thanks in advance,

Valéry

def handler(event):

# get file
    file = event.info['file']  

# get item
    item = Item().load(file['itemId'], level=AccessType.WRITE, force=True)

#read the nifti
    # see https://gist.github.com/arokem/423d915e157b659d37f4aded2747d2b3 
    with File().open(file) as f:
      rr = f.read()
      bb = BytesIO(rr)
      fh = FileHolder(fileobj=bb)
      nib_image = nib.Nifti1Image.from_file_map({'header': fh, 'image': fh})

# let's assume some operation on the nifti file
    new_nib_image=nib_image

# prepare the nifti
    bio = BytesIO()
    file_map = new_nib_image.make_file_map({'image': bio, 'header': bio})
    new_nib_image.to_file_map(file_map)
    data = bio.getvalue()

# upload the nifti
    # QUESTION how to upload the file to the same location or to a new location ?

creator=event.info['currentUser']
    size=File().updateSize(file)    

#with open(filename, 'rb') as f:
    #  Upload().uploadFromFile(f, size, filename='lili', 'item', parentItem=item, user=creator)

If you have a folder ID, you can load the folder document like so:

from girder.models.folder import Folder

folderDocument = Folder().load(folderID, ...)   # pass parameters to specify what access you need (e.g., the user with permission to access it, or force=True to always load it).

folderID can be from an item (e.g., item['folderId'])

Your commented out code from uploadFromFile is nearly right – you have to specify the parent as parent=<item or folder document> and parentModel="item" or parentModel="folder" as appropriate.

– David

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your help. The load method was super helpful.
Regarding the second point , I wasn’t able to use the uploadFromFile method instead I created an empty file and getting the absolute path, I write the data in it. I add the code below. In case , I have two additional small questions:

1. Doing such steps, I created an infinite loop: as my function is triggered by an event: ‘data.process’ , the upload triggered a second upload , third upload … I did a quick hack by if/else condition based on the name of the input and saving files. Is there some mechanisms to filter/remove event like ‘data.process’ in the upload function ?

2. My understanding of createFolder is ok, createItem is ok but I do not understand the logic of createFile: “Create a new file record in the database”. For instance if I wish to create a new file in an item.

new_file=File().createFile(creator=creator, item=doc, name="new_file", size=size_of_the_file)
ERROR:createFile() missing 1 required positional argument: 'assetstore

The definition mentioned “assetstore: The assetstore this file is stored in.” So I need to add the assetstore in the call of the function. However it is unclear to me where to find this value as I haven’t yet create the file and I do not have yet a specific location . I missed something. In which context , this function should be used so ?

Thanks a lot in advance
Valéry

def girder_nifti_write(nib_img, name , creator, item):

#IO stuff
    bio = BytesIO()
    file_map = nib_img.make_file_map({'image': bio, 'header': bio})
    nib_img.to_file_map(file_map)
    data = bio.getvalue()

print(bio.getbuffer().nbytes)

# create a empty file
    upload_created=Upload().createUpload( user=creator, name=name, parentType='item', parent=item, size=bio.getbuffer().nbytes)
    new_file_from_upload=Upload().finalizeUpload(upload_created)

# check if it is a file
    print(File().validate(new_file_from_upload))

# get the path 
    local_path_new_file=File().getLocalFilePath(new_file_from_upload)

# write the data
    with open(local_path_new_file, 'wb') as f: 
        f.write(bio.getbuffer())

bio.close()